The BETLS Observation Tool is a template for gathering and documenting information and observations about a child or young person.
- focus only on what you actually see and hear, rather than what you think about a child or young person’s behaviours, emotions and thoughts
- take note of when, where and how often a child or young person is showing a particular behaviour or emotion
- notice what makes the child or young person’s experience worse and what makes it better
- record how long the behaviour or emotion occurs (for example, if you’re concerned about a child or young person’s outbursts, take note of how long they last)
- notice what happens before and after the behaviour that is a concern
- be recorded by different people and in different situations during the day.
This template also provides a space to reflect on a child or young person’s experiences. It allows you to note their thoughts about a situation, and any other additional information that could be playing a role in their behaviour or mood.
Download the BETLS Observation Tool [PDF, 196 KB]
The BETLS Observation Tool can support your use of the Mental Health Continuum.